SugarCRM is a customer relationship management system, comparable to salesforce. The company sells small business and enterprise editions. They make the community edition available for free under the GNU General Public License version 3. Installing was straightforward under both Windows XP and Linux.
I have fairly current versions of MySQL (5.0), Apache (2.2) and PHP (5) on both systems.
- Create an empty data base
- Using my quasi-regular naming rules: v1sugarce
- Create a user with full privileges on this data base
- Download and unzip the community edition files from http://www.sugarcrm.com/
- My current version is SugarCE-Full-5.0.0f
- Set up the usual vhosts
- Follow the installation process at: http://www.sugarcrm.com/docs/Administration_Guides/CommunityEdition_Install_Admin_Guide_5.1Beta1/Sugar_Install.3.3.html
- On Dreamhost Linux, this was all that was required.
- On Windows, a little further fussing was needed:
- I was missing support for multi-byte strings in php
- Copied php_mbstring.dll and php_imap.dll from a later php
- Modified php.ini, by uncommenting the following lines:
- Set the parameters for mbstring in php.ini to:
[mbstring] mbstring.language = Japanese mbstring.internal_encoding = UTF-8 mbstring.http_input = auto mbstring.http_output = pass mbstring.encoding_translation = On mbstring.detect_order = auto mbstring.substitute_character = none; mbstring.func_overload = 0