Notes, mostly technical on how to configure, install, troubleshoot computer systems.
I've chosen topics mostly because I went through the process of selecting, installing and configuring something, usually a software application, tool or and utilities. They are here primarily so that I can consult them when needed and refer others to them.
My home server, running Win2K, failed to reboot after it's last update. The problem turned out to be a bad disk. I decided to abandon Windows and go with Linux. Most of my experience has been with Red Hat, but a friend had praised Ubuntu, so I decided to give it a try. I wanted:
- A file server with enough capacity to handle our household -- two people who do a medium amount of photo work, a lot of office work, no music and an occasional video.
- Accessibility from outside
- A web server running Apache, php and mySQL
- Immunity from power failure -- orderly shutdown and restart
- Selecting Home Server Hardware
- Installing Disk Drives
- Installing Ubuntu Server
- Logical Volume Manager
- File Server
- Web Server
- Print Server
- NTP Keeping the time accurate.
GNU General Public License
Information on how to use these for site software is at: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-howto.html
I've moved on to Joomla! 1.5. Hopefully I won't need to do much wiht this section. 1.5 is clearly a big improvement -- simpler and cleaner, easier to use all around. Now if the extension writers would just bring their extensions into compliance with 1.5...
- Joomla Overview
- Installing Joomla 1.5
- Customizing the Footer
- Setting Up the Menus
- Creating a Template
- Install Google Analytics Module
- Installing Google AdSense ClickSafe (Joomla 1.5)
- Customizing the TinyMCE Editor
- Advertisement Module
- Install SmartSEF
- Install AnyCode
- Install GCalendar
- Apache mod_rewrite
- Simple YouTube