Set up the Sections
Start with a Site outline, or Information Architecture
Most of the top level menu items will lead to sections. I add each, using the descriptions from the outline or IA for notes about what it will include. This creates a live site outline that can be tried out right way -- even if there is no content.
Some of the items will best be done as a single page, "an article" in Joomla terms. For example a static contact page that lsits the orgainizations name, address phone number and a few other key items. Create an article for each of these. Either create a special category, or put them in "uncategorized".
By convention, I name each section with the name I plan to use in the menu.
Add the Main Menu Items
Menus >> Main Menu
- Unpublish all the Joomla Items except "Home".
- Add a menu item for each section.
- Make "Top" the parent (the default choice)
- Choose an entry type. Section/Blog will layout the items as blocks of text, with "read more" links.
- Check 'Show Description" (Under parameters - Basic). We are using these as notes and weant to see them.
- Add a page title for each. (Under Parameters - System)
Remove all of the Joomla default content
- Remove the articles
- Send to the trash
- Open the trash page and delete them all
Content >> Article Trash
- Remove the categories
- Remove the sections
Add selected articles
The early ones are likely to be static content. Under "Advanced parameters", hide irrelevant data such as Author, Creation and Modification dates.