Detailed, but general, documentation is available at:
My cookbook oriented approach, for a Dreamhost linux server is:
- Download a copy to local directory, using ftp
- Make a copy of the existing directory on the server:
> cp -a currentdir upgradedir
- Download and unpack the appropriate patch from the joomla site. Patches are available at:
- Upload the joomla patch over the copied directory
- Point a url at the new directory. i.e. using the dreamhost panel
- Fix any pages you've hacked and clobbered with the update.
- Point the url at the new directory.
- Wait a day or two to make sure you didn't miss anything and then delete the now unused directory.