Backup the current data base
Use your favorite tool. I like Navicat for MySQL.
Deactivate all plugins on the temporary site
From the wordpress admin menu.
Make a copy of the current directory
- Use cp -a (copy as archive) to get all files correctly copied.
>cp -a currentdir newdir
- For example
>cp -a v2.alstevens.org/ v3.alstevens.org
Set up the copied files as a temporary site
- Point a temporary url at the copied directory e.g. temp.alstevens.org or some such.
Upgrade the copied site
- Download the latest Wordpress
- Follow their instructions and copy the downloaded files over the copied directory
- If necessary, hand edit
Point the live domain to the copied and upgraded site
- Visit the admin page and update the data base
- Reactivate the plugins -- upgrading any as needed